Disclosure: I was given a Thule Urban Glide stroller to test out in exchange for posting a review of my thoughts on the product. All opinions are my own.
I love running. I think most people that talk to me for any length of time will inevitably be subjected to me talking about my kids and running…and running with my kids. As the boys are getting older, they’re still interested in being pushed in our double jogger and even more interested in coming along side me to run. It’ll be a bit longer before they’re
running way faster than me going for runs/bike rides along side me but I know that day is quickly approaching.
Now that the Little Lady is here, I have a third passenger to carry along for the running ride. With 3 kids and a double jogger in our garage, it doesn’t take a math whiz to see that we’re one seat short when it comes to taking the kids on walks/jogs.
I was beyond excited to receive an Urban Glide jogger from Thule. You may recognize the company because you’re likely to see their gear on any car, truck or van that carries a family that enjoys being outdoors. From roof racks to bike carriers to sleeves for your laptop, Thule pretty much has you covered and their quality is very evident when you see their products in action.
Features of the Urban Glide:
- One-handed compact fold for storing and transporting
- Swivel front wheel for easy maneuverability, locks into place for jogging
- Ergonomic handlebar with a range of heights for parent’s comfort
- Rear suspension for a smooth and comfortable ride
- Padded seat with vented top reclines to a near flat position for on-the-go naps
- Multi-position canopy for added protection with view-in roof port to see your child
- Large storage compartment with zippered water resistant cover
- 5 point safety child harness
- Reclining seat
- The stroller is lightweight (23lbs) and compact. I had no problems at all folding it up and storing it in my van. It takes up very little space and lies flat enough that if needed, I could pile something lighter on top of it.
- The ride is so incredibly smooth. I’ve had both my 4 year old and my 2 year old in it and I had no problem pushing either of them in it (it can hold up to 75lbs). The shocks are also very good. Neither of my kids complained of being uncomfortable, even when we went over some sizable bumps in the road. There’s a good bounce to the wheels so I’m not worried about the kids getting jarred if I accidentally go over a bump or curb harder than intended.
- The storage space is wicked awesome. For such a small sized stroller, there is a lot of space to store extras like a blanket, jacket, snacks and water. The storage space below the seat has a cover that both zips and velcro’s closed making it beyond ideal for putting stuff in that won’t get wet. My last single jogger only had one tiny little mesh bag to put stuff in which was always a pain because it was hard to get to and always got filthy by the time we got home and didn’t fit more than a water bottle and my house keys.
- The front wheel can both swivel and lock in place depending on your activity. Though I did find it a bit tough to change from one to the other, it’s a great feature to be able to lock it to run and have it swivel to walk. I know my hubby mentioned a couple of times how much he liked the swivel function when walking with it.
- The seat reclines. My two year old especially loved this because he still naps so if we were out and he was getting tired, he’d ask to recline and have a short nap. Much easier on the neck than when your kid falls asleep awkwardly (think car seat slumber).
- The adjustable hand bar is a really nice feature, especially for running. It can pretty much adjust to any angle and height so anyone from my 6’3″ hubby to my 4 year old can push the stroller comfortably. I didn’t experience any shoulder or arm discomfort pushing this stroller.
- The Umbrella cover is very big, offering a large amount of coverage for the passenger. It’s also very sturdy so I was never worried about high winds bending or pushing it back, exposing my child to the elements.
- It’s so ridiculously easy to assemble. I had it put together in under a minute. No joke. And this is coming from the person with a real talent for assembling furniture backwards.
- You have the option to purchase extra accessories to really make it work for you. You’re not paying for a bunch of extra’s you may or may not need. You can buy an infant car seat adapter to turn the stroller into a travel system so that you can use it with baby and car seat right away. No waiting for baby to be old enough/steady enough to walk in it safely and no need to purchase a special car seat as the adapter works with most popular car seat models. It should be pointed out that the adapter is meant for strolling only not jogging and I have not tested this additional feature on the stroller.
- The reclining seat function wasn’t my favorite to set. Though I love that the seat reclines and that I can control the exact amount of recline, I found it very difficult to do with a child already in the seat (especially if they want to sit up from reclining) and I needed two hands in order to do it. The build of the clip seemed a bit lower quality when compared to the overall platinum quality of the rest of the stroller.
- As mentioned above, I had some trouble changing the front wheel from swivel to lock. It could be that it just take some getting used to but it definitely took a couple of minutes each time I changed it.
I think it’s safe to say that I absolutely adore this stroller. Even my hubby was praising it and he is a very tough critic when it comes to expensive equipment of any kind. At $479.99, this stroller is most definitely an investment product but I have no doubt that it will stand up to years and years of use and abuse. The features, the overall construction and the convenience of it make it well worth the price and I would definitely stand it up against the top of the line competitor strollers on the market.
The bottom line: if you are an outdoors family who likes to run, job, walk, hike, hit the trails etc, I cannot recommend this stroller enough. We will have this stroller for years to come and I’m already looking forward to the Spring when the Little Lady and I can go on runs together in the morning on the weekends.