I love my smoothies. The greener the better. I never thought I would enjoy green monsters or juicing but I have loved it. Not only am I reaping the health benefits but the taste of my smoothies is much better than I imagined (I was figuring it would be equivalent to drinking an ash tray).
That’s not to say everything I’ve tried has been good. I’ve discovered on several occasions that you can’t just throw anything into a smoothie and expect it to taste good. I’ve gagged my way through more than one failed attempted and fruit and veggie goodness.
Here are some of my favourite smoothie recipes. I don’t really measure but just throw in what I have on hand. These are all the bare bones versions. Sometimes I’ll add in a protein powder or use rice or soy milk instead. The great thing about smoothies is they are easy to adapt to your own tastes and even at a minimum, they are still healthy.
1. Almond milk, Banana, pinch of cinnamon, dash of maple syrup. The simplicity of this smoothie does not in any way take away from the amazing taste. For a thicker consistency, use a frozen banana or add in a few ice cubes.
2. Almond milk, strawberries, blueberries, banana. This is a staple smoothie in our house. Everyone likes it. In the summer, I’ll thicken it up into a gelati consistency and we all eat it like ice cream. Perfect dessert. No one needs to know that it’s healthy!
3. Almond milk, spinach, kale, cherries, blackberries, banana. I’m not a huge fan of the taste of kale but love the health benefits. I find using a slightly overripe banana (one that is starting to brown and get spots) masks over any kale taste and also balances out some of the tartness that can come with the cherries too.
4. Almond milk, spinach, kale, carrot, celery, banana, orange. Again, the orange and banana add a wonderfully sweet, rich flavour that makes drinking this combination a joy and not a chore.
5. Spinach, kale, carrot, granny smith apple, orange, cucumber and a bit of water to help thin it out. The cucumber gives it a wonderfully fresh flavour. Even in winter, it reminds me of a warm summer morning. I love drinking this in the morning because it just energizes my mind and body and helps me tackle my day without leaving me dragging my feet.
Your Turn: How do you enjoy your smoothies and juices?