What Makes Fit Mom FitFluential?

When I started this blog nearly 2 years ago, it wasn’t with the intent of inspiring, motivating or even focusing on health and fitness.

It was a cry for help.

I was a new mom suffering from postpartum depression who was looking for an outlet, a way to find myself, understand myself and figure out who I was. I had no idea where I was going, how I was going to survive each day or even if I wanted to survive the day. I was lost and didn’t know if I’d ever find my way back.

I was scared.

Gradually, the fog lifted and through a lot of self-discovery, reflection and many, many tears, I discovered not only a new found love for my family but a love and appreciation for myself as a wife, mother, woman and friend. I discovered that I not only had a purpose, but a voice and that I could use that voice to help and encourage others to find their inner strength, outer bad-ass and all around total razzle dazzle. I’ve written openly about how exercise and healthy living helped me kick postpartum depression in the butt and improve not only my physical health but my mental well-being as well. As someone who placed no importance on either for the majority of my life, I can attest to how difficult and yet rewarding such lifestyle changes can be.

Just as my life and mindset evolved, so did my writing and here I am, nearly 2 years later, confident, happy and ready to welcome baby number 2 in a matter of weeks. I’ve adapted a healthy lifestyle that has not only helped me conquer postpartum depression but has unleashed a passion that has carried me through the past 2 years in ways I never dreamed imaginable. I learned to eat properly, I learned how to exercise properly, I ran a half marathon, I (finally) learned how to swim and I learned how to balance it all among the typically every day life stressors. As a working mom, I know the struggles to make time to get to work, get to daycare, get dinner on the table, baths, bed, hugs and stories and then if there’s anything left, go workout.

I get it.

I also find a way to get it done. Not because I have to but because I choose to. I believe that anyone can live a healthy and active life regardless of age, demographic, background or body type. I’m living proof that the average every day person can achieve anything they set their mind to if they work hard and commit themselves 100% to their goals. You’ll see a running theme on my blog: I get it done in spite of a busy schedule, incorporate the family where I can, plan and prioritize. It’s not easy but if this average, every day mama can do it, there’s no reason that you can’t.

As I continue my journey and await (eagerly) the arrival of Fit Child #2 (hopefully sooner than later), you’ll see my transition back to half marathoner, hopeful triathlete and all around multitasking guru. I tell it like it is, good, bad and ugly because lets face it, life is never painted a single shade.

Working hard to stay active during pregnancy #2.

Stephanie

Stephanie is a mom 3, avid runner of countless miles with or without her kids in tow. Vegetarian, Christ-follower and all around reeker of awesomeness, Stephanie plans to run her marathon and triathlon in the near future.

22 Responses to What Makes Fit Mom FitFluential?

1. I love the preggers shot. And I’m so glad you found your way through the post-partum depression. It’s hard enough being exhausted, let alone depressed with a new baby! I’m sure you are helping others.

2. MCM Mama says:

Love it! I suffered from PPD with my first son. Running was my salvation as I “ran my way back into the light”.

3. Tara Burner says:

love it and you!
    you’re an inspiration to moms and soon to be moms I’m sure :)

4. Nicole says:

Love the belly shot :) so cute! I love that you choose to be healthy and fit even throughout your pregnancy! so important!

5. great post, you are such an inspiration!

6. amber says:

Great post. I love that you stayed in such great shape during your pregnancy. Can’t say that I did the same with my 3.

7. I still can’t believe how amazing you look at almost 39 weeks! You really are an inspiration to all preggers :) Thank you for sharing about your PPD .. I think it is a topic that is rarely discussed and one that matters so much since it effects so many women!

8. You ARE so cute… and I LOVE your story! you ARE #FitFluential! :)

9. Melissa says:

Great post! You are such an amazing inspiration!

10. You are such an inspiration! I am thrilled you post – you motivate me to be a more fit mom!

11. Jen says:

Congratulations, and good luck with #2. My baby girl #2 is now 3 months old, and I really need to get back to exercising for the health and wellness benefits. You are inspiring working out at 39 weeks! Good luck!

• Stephanie says:

Thanks Jen! I’m excited and eager to get back to a more regular exercise routine but know it’s going to be an adjustment with 2 kids at home (as I’m sure you can attest to!)

12. Alissa says:

I’m new to the site and I can’t wait to dig into some of your older posts on your running journey. Thanks so much for sharing!

13. LeeAnn says:

You are definitely the inspiration I need. I am also a working mom, and the one thing I still haven’t found time for is exercise. When do you fit it in? I would love to at least do some cardio every day, but there just aren’t enough minutes in my days. I’ll figure it out eventually, I guess…

Good luck with baby #2! It isn’t easy, but it can definitely be a lot of fun. :-)

• LeeAnn – I work and am a mom to 3 – I exercise on my lunches and while I sit at my desk. You can do it!

• Stephanie says:

Hey LeeAnn, I schedule it in, like an appointment. There are always going to be those days when it’s not possible because life with kids is always unpredictable. Because it’s important to me and makes me a better mom (stress relieved mom=happy mom), I do my best to prioritize it. I also include my son (and will do the same with baby #2) whenever possible, whether it’s going for a run with him in the jogging stroller or doing circuits while we’re playing at the park, I try to make it fun for him too.

14. I big puffy heart you! You’re such an inspiration!

15. Vanessa says:

this is so great! I hope to be a fit mom some day. so trying to be.

16. Hanan says:

Such an awesome and inspiring story, thank you for sharing!